Monday, January 3, 2011

HOSPITALITY

BUT I’M TOO BUSY, TIRED, OLD…WHATEVER.
Ref: Luke 1

“Zechariah, I am too old for this! My feet ache, my back aches, even my aches ache. And I’m tired, so tired. Plus, I haven’t got everything ready for this kid.” Zechariah, of course, said nothing. He still had three months to go before “his tongue was loosened, and he began to speak, praising God.”

Of course, I’m referring to Elizabeth & Zechariah, the parents of John (who became the Baptizer.) I don’t know for sure if Elizabeth complained about being pregnant, old, achy, tired and busy, but I do know that I probably would have. And maybe you would have, too. Sometimes life is like that.

But then Mary shows up.
Mary – who is young, scared and a virgin mother;
Mary – who tells Zechariah and Elizabeth a tale of a shining angel and the overshadowing of the Holy Spirit and the knowledge that there is new life growing in her womb;
Mary – carrying NEW LIFE for every person who ever believed in the coming Messiah and who would ever believe in a Savior.

Elizabeth’s aches were set aside, her husband’s silence forgotten, her seclusion ended – the only reminder of her own situation was when “the baby leaped in her womb, and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit.” She began at that moment to minister to her niece. Elizabeth pronounced blessings on Mary; she rejoiced, encouraged, and affirmed Mary. They glorified God together.

And Elizabeth let Mary stay a while, resting and marveling at the wonder of God. Sometimes, God calls us to let go of ourselves long enough to hold someone else.

So, even if you don’t wear diamonds to do the dusting (tables or cakes) or you’re your life isn’t perfect (whose life is?) you can still practice hospitality – give what you can, reach out, and value others.

That’s really what hospitality is all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment